Friday, April 25, 2008

Big Jims





PattyDaddy returns. That Big Jim's font is some serious business and announces its own presence:



I've had some memorable burgers here. Like back in '76, this is the first place I went after I got my driver's license. And in '90, pulling in on a golden summer evening, gritty, hungry, and sore after driving straight through from Moab... It gave me the energy to make it the rest of the way to Portland. The passing years have brought new owners and a new building, a few new menu items, and state of the art POS terminals, but the food is remarkably the same (although the cook I got yesterday didn't season the meat like the ex-owner Ted used to). Fresh ingredients, crisp foil bags, steamin' hot tots with tartar on the side. Hand dipped shakes if you're so inclined, and waffle cones made on-site every morning. This is a slice of America that nobody should miss when passing Exit 87 off Interstate 84 at the east end of the Columbia Gorge.

Pictured is the Big Jim Burger: 1/4 lb. beef patty, seared ham, natural swiss cheese, secret sauce, lettuce & tomato ($4.75) and perfect tots with homemade tartar sauce ($3.25).



Big Jim's Drive In
2938 E. 2nd St. (Exit 87, Off I-84)
The Dalles, OR 97058
(541)298-5051

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about these. Well someday Ill create a blog to compete you! lolz.