Thursday, January 28, 2010

J&M house



Frequent Hamburgler Pdxgwailo is officially evolving into burgerdogboy and writes in with a tasty treat from PDX:


Someday I am going to endeavor to find out the origin of the proliferation of “teriyaki burger” establishments in the Pacific Northwest.  For those not in the know, no, these are not places that glaze a puck with T sauce, but rather combo Japanese/(limited) America cafes, diners, lunch counters.

My local neighborhood one, J&M house, I have driven by a thousand times but never stopped in, as it is in very close proximity to Humdinger Burgers, so the thought of going to a “T-Burger” never appealed to me until today, when my better 2/3rds announced she was taking me to lunch and she wanted a bento box. Gazing at the sign as we drove up, I noticed not only did J & M offer teriyaki and charbroiled burgers, but they also had free wifi, AND a fax machine (said so right on their sign!). I’m so there!

We ordered at the counter, after perusing their menu board, which boasts about their home style cooking and no MSG added, my S.O. went with the spicy combo lunch, and I, being not nearly so brave, went for the double cheeseburger with fries included, Diet Dr. Pepper on the side. For what it was, the double cheeseburger was a masterpiece; the counter woman actually asked me how I wanted it prepared and dressed, and accommodated my wishes. Twin food service pucks on a bakery roll, the meat seasoned with a facsimile of Seasoned Salt, and perfectly salted thick cut fries and 3 packets of Hunts Ketchup (”It’s thick!”) on the side.

J&M House
8981 SW. Barbur Blvd.
Portland, OR 97219
ph: 503.452.7909

No comments: